Soup for Ole Whatserface

Monday is that day of the week that starts off all dainty and fresh and new but then finishes like a whiskey-chugging, chain-smoking old strumpet bag that kicks me in the teeth.


So when I get home at the end of the day all I want is to eat something comforting, delicious and simple, before crawling onto the couch to read vampire books and watch Antiques Roadshow. Usually that means soup. Because frankly soup cooks itself and by that point I have nothing left to give.

Same as every Monday. Except for today a friend told me how she got wicked kicked in the teeth (and in the balls, and oh, in the head - poor thing) and so I promised to make her some soup too, with the added bonus of a very large shaker of martini. So to dear Ole Whatserface, this is the soup I will make you to go with that big drink shaker.

For the rest of you who also need Monday Night Recovery Soup, here is the recipe:

Monday Night Recovery Soup

I happened to have an old chicken carcass in the fridge, so in a large pot I sauteed a sliced onion, three chopped scallions and a clove of garlic until light gold. Then I added the carcass and sauteed that for a bit.

Then I added about 8 cups or so of water and a big pinch of salt and let it simmer for about 45 minutes. Then I strained it, and rinsed out the pot. You could just eliminate this step and use vegetable broth, or chicken broth, or stock. Just not those bouillon cubes. Those you have to throw straight away into the garbage please.

Ok so back to the rinsed out pot. In a little olive oil I sauteed another sliced onion, about 8 whole cloves of garlic, and a box of white mushrooms that I sliced up.

After the onions cooked for a bit and the garlic cloves bronzed and the mushrooms absorbed and then released their earthy liquid, I threw in what I think was some sort of Asian spinach but a handful of plain old spinach would work - or some lettuce leaves maybe, whatever you have on hand is fine, and another few chopped stalks of scallions. This soup is a great way to use up that withery looking bunch of scallions stuck in the back of veg bin. Let the leaves wilt, then pour back in the strained stock.

I then added a stub of grated ginger and a handful of chopped fresh cilantro.

This cooked for a little longer, maybe twenty minutes. Then I served it to myself, in a big soup bowl, over a large scoop of cooked rice and a splash of toasted sesame oil. And a few splurts of Maggi - because I am an addict.

Fricking the most delicious soup for a tooth-kicked kind of a day.


tammy said…
Mmmmmm, that was delicious. Ole Whatserface is a lucky girl!

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes the jam jells. Sometimes it don't.

Aggressive coffee.

Eastah Scorchah